OK, maybe not Yoda, but Jason Powell is definitely the jedi master when it comes to Church IT. The Granger Community Church staff was recently introduced to their brand new "IT Best Practices" document. It's an acceptable use policy and practices document all wrapped up into one. I was so impressed, because it is entirely focused on the end user, and not on the IT department. That's not to surprising, though, if you know Jason at all. Here are a few highlights from his presentation to staff, courtesy of Tim Stephens.
- Other church leaders think we are on crack because we let you use Facebook..."
- "You can play outside the guardrails...that's okay, but we can't support you if you do."
- "Holy crap, how much did you pay for that thing?"
- "ILikePigsFeet would be a good passphrase."
- "We don't want to see pictures of your dog and your kid on the server."
This fall, after we finish the cutover to a new set of servers, this is on my radar to prepare for our staff.